We were so exhausted Saturday night that it was agreed to just get some sleep, and take pictures/get loaded up to leave Sunday morning.
John and Opal came over to Dale's to join us for breakfast then we took a bunch of group and individual pictures with all the hardware we had collected. With that done, we started loading up to prepare for the long trip back to Arizona.
"Dave, where did you put the trophy from Rockett racing fuel?"
I turned to see Mom standing behind me, "It's in the Valiant, already packed up...why?"
"I wanted to get some pictures too..."
"Mom! We were out here for thirty minutes, we took pictures of all the cars and all the people with about three different cameras, we can send you all the copies you could possibly want!"
"Well, I just wanted to get some..."
"Ok, fine, where is your camera?"
"Its broken, it's not working right now..."
"Then how were you going to take more pictures?"
"I was in the kitchen, cleaning up after breakfast, I didn't realize you guys were taking them", her pitch was rising, and I suddenly realized she was getting upset, "oh just never mind!" She turned to walk away, shoulders slumped.
I looked over at John and Opal, who were loading their stuff, and both were looking at me like I was the most evil person on earth!
"I totally blew that, didn't I?"
"Yes", Opal answered, with her hand on her neck, "Yes, you did!"
"She didn't want to take pictures, she wanted to be IN them!"
"Exactly!" John shook his head, "and you completely missed it!"
"Dang it!, I hate when I'm an idiot!"

It only took a few minutes to fix my blunder, and of course, she wanted the pictures in front of Darren's Dakota! I knew he was Dad's favorite, but Mom Too?

8348528-151-Copy.JPG (158 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines