Dale turned on the nitrous bottle, walked up to the Belvedere's open passenger's side door, and told Rachael to test it. She hit the button several times, and nothing happened. In their haste to change the cable, they had disconnected the ground side of the button. Dale grabbed it quickly, tore off the eyelet, and wrapped the bare wire around one of the bolts holding the shifter to the floor. The engine responded with a healthy roar the next time she tried it, he slammed the door, and motioned her towards the water.

I was standing on the fence with John when she started her burn out. "She's on the quick 32 bump right now...think she can improve?"
"Nope", I shook my head, "It's taken her three passes each day to get it right, so I'm not expecting a good run right off the bat".

She was a hundred feet out before the car responded to the juice, and I winced, "That's not going to do it". 12.75-110.6, was enough to sink any chances of bracket racing on Friday.

I gave her the bad news when she came back to the pits, but she took it all in stride, with a smile. "Dad...I love the drives, and I love making passes on the nitrous, I could care less about the quick 32!"
Well...ok then, I shouldn't try to shove my competitiveness off on her, as long as she is having fun...who am I to decide what's important to accomplish?

8317840-347-Copy.jpg (104 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines