Finally, I ran into a Tulsa Raceway Park tech guy, who had the proper registration sheets for us to fill out. Now, one of the reasons I started writing these tales back in 2011, was because many of the comments on this and other message boards made me feel like most racers and car guys didn't understand the feel, spirit, and sense of accomplishment that this event brings about, and simply look at the E.T. on the sheet as the only barometer of success. I'd like to think I've been able to convey the message somewhat, but there are still a few things that despite my best efforts haven't made it through.
#1 What class is my car legal for?
What class do you want to run. Read the rules, get close, enter that class on your pre-registration. A representative from the Hot Rod Drag Week staff is going to approach you in the lanes, and this is how it works:
HR Guy- "What class are you running?"
Me- "Modified NA"
HR Guy, looking under hood at clearly visible plate nitrous system, "NA, really?"
Me- "Yeah, no bottle in the car this year."
HR Guy, "Ok...modified is small tire right?"
Me- "Yeah".
The HR Guy looks at the tire and comments that he has seen that specific size pass the go-no go guage plenty of times, then he slaps my number and class designation on my window.

If that feels like it took all of 45 seconds, and was a simple exchange between one competitor and one official, you would be correct! See, no point in posting questions on three different websites, and sending out detailed pictures of every modification you've made all over social media! They've got 7 hours to do 310 cars, don't make it harder than it has to be!

#2 Can my street car pass tech.
I have posted a copy of the tech sheet we fill out to register for Drag Week. Most of you have filled out a tech sheet at a drag strip before, and you know how detailed they can be. I want you to look closely at the three sections, and pay attention to the part the track tech official is given to work with. Now, I want you to put yourself in the shoes of that official, and realize that he has 310 cars to do, and basically one multiple choice question to fill out. I'm not saying...I'm just saying!

8296244-mrgrecpt0001.JPG (174 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines