Friday's parts delivery included 5 sets of Bosch plugs, various fittings, new shocks for Boone, Darren's new wheels, and his new steering wheel.
"Good grief Boone", I scolded, "You can't put those on a Gasser!"
He had just pulled a shiny new double adjustable aluminum QA-1 shock out of the package.
"Hey, that thing is for a coil-over application", I observed.
"Yeah, they didn't have anything long enough in the Stocker-Star front shock selection, so I ordered these".
"Those are not going to be Squirrel approved!" I continued to pick on him.
"I lost Squirrel's approval when I didn't paint my aluminum radiator black, so I'm not painting these either", he laughed.
Boone really struggled to keep the Barnyard in the groove last year, and it was a bit unwieldy on the street as well. Replacing the wore out 2800lb Super Gas A-body Super Stock leaf springs on the rear with a pair of brand new 3000lb 002/003 SS leafs had helped a great deal, but he still had to deal with excessive body roll on launch, and dive under braking in the front. I had recommended clamping the top two front leafs together, but he and Dale had decided to spend money on shocks instead.
Of course, as with everything, it wasn't a straight-up bolt on deal, and required yet another run to the parts store for adaptable hardware to make them fit. While I helped him, Dale was busy learning the ins and outs of mounting the ET. Streets on the new double beadlock wheels. In a word (or two), time consuming! The real fun was when he nearly had the second one done and couldn't find the last beadlock bolt, it was great theatre!

Boone and Dale disappeared for yet another test drive of the Barnyard, and came back with glowing remarks about the new additions.
"Wow", Boone shook his head, "I would've never believed a simple shock change could make that much difference!"
"Yeah", Dale agreed, "and the adjustments definitely make a difference, it changes the characteristics with just a few clicks."
"I think I can handle her at a buck-twenty now", Boone asserted.

8289151-020.JPG (175 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines