I caught Boone looking for parts in the shop later on and asked him, "What went on up there? I thought it was supposed to be closer to finished than that!"
"Yeah...it was, long story short...I think Darren made both the chassis guy and the painter mad the way he jerked this project around."
"What do you mean?"
"Well, they had the back half finished, and painted, about two months ago, and he pulled it out, so he could do the stuff he wanted to do. Then he took it back and wanted a bunch of additional stuff done, and put them on a tight schedule. Basically all he did was pull the 4 speed, and mock up in the automatic in 3 weeks, then wanted them to finish it in 2 weeks! Didn't go over very well...Dale is probably going to have to make a trip up there and mend some fences when this is all said and done."
"There is no way we can do all that stuff...to Darren's standards no less, and have that truck ready for Drag Week!"
"No way, you're right...but if we don't make progress, he'll take it home, push it off in the field, and not touch it for a year."
"Why is that our responsibility?"
"Let's just take it day by day, and see what happens", he shrugged.

We retired to the kitchen table for a late snack, and strategy session.
"We must get a Summit order in" Darren started, "There is no way I'm going to Drag Week with those terrible Super Tricks on the Dakota!"
"Good grief Darren!" I stared at him, "You can't get new wheels in less than a week. Most of those are drop shipped from the manufacturer...it took me three weeks to get my Centerlines!"
"Oh, I'll have new wheels...you just watch", he challenged. "Dale, just look up wheels that can ship today on there."
There meant Dale's smart phone. A truck which needs tons of hours poured into it is sitting on a trailer, and four guys are at the table with one smart phone trying to order parts. It was more than I could take, so I excused myself and went to bed.
"I have to get a new steering wheel too!" I heard Darren add on as I walked away.

8282862-018.JPG (252 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines