"I worry that it'll turn into a "might as well" situation, if I'm buying pistons and rods I may as well toss a stroker crank in there too."

If we can assume around a 60 CI increase for a cost of between $700 and $950 for a typical stroker crank, then a guy would just need
to decide if 60CI is really worth it for this application. It kind of seems like a bargain shruggy

"Dumb question, but if they're the weak link, can rod bolts be changed without getting the rods remachined, or is that asking for trouble?"

It's kind of a bad idea. I did that in the late '80s to the mule 440/still together in the Polara. The reason I got away with it was....back then, Mancini was selling
production/I believe SPS rod bolts in bulk, without the direct connection blister packaging. I ended up with exactly the same bolt as stock, but new.
I don't think I would attempt this today with an ARP 8740 etc without having the rods resized....and by then you're about halfway to some middle of the road
aftermarket rods.

Maybe I am showing a tendency to repeat past mistakes, but to me the easy/fun approach is enjoy it the way it is
for now and start working on the next combination. Then when the new big bad engine is done, if everything goes well you will end up with a spare 440 to either use, sell, part out, etc.

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri