I've made a couple posts about my car already. It's a '68 Fury III (4500 pounds with me in it!!) that has an old school built 440 in it. Ported 906's, 30 over 6 pack pistons, LY rods, 590 mopar cam, TM7 intake, 850 Holley DP and 1 3/4" headers with 3.5" exhaust and flowmasters. I ran 12.40's with it last month and am going to try to get it to the track one more time this year before the season is up. I'm thinking I can maybe get another tenth or two out of it. It's also got an Ultimate converter that seems to flash around 4500, and 4.30 gears with 295 M/T drag radials. Have spent some time messing with timing and squirters, it runs pretty good at this point and at the track it hooked fine launching from 3000-ish, but it just has air shocks in the back so I assume I'm going to need caltracs and adjustable shocks if I put any more power to it.

The goal is to run 11.50's in any conditions, so probably 11.30's in good air. That needs a minimum of an 150 hp bump over where I'm at now. Whatever I do with it, I also want it to be reliable, as the goal is to run one of the drag and drive events next year. Drag Week, Midwest Drags, or Rocky Mountain Race Week.

The initial thought was to put a 200 hp plate kit on it, that should get it to where I need to be. I'll need to upgrade the fuel system, but other than that it might be ready to go. I worry a bit about durability with spraying it, but it should at least get me to the ET goal.

The other option is to spend some money on the motor and make that difference up n/a. I think the heads are the biggest restriction currently. Trick Flows look like there really is no ETA on them due to supply issues - every time I look on Summit's site the expected ship date keeps slipping. I think Indy 440 EZ's are available, but don't know if they would get me to where I need to be out of the box compared to the TF's.

The other concern is I'm not sure the small-ish headers, cam, and honestly the rotating assembly, is going to be ok to get a 446 to the 600 hp range without being suspect. I'm not an expert by any means but I'm thinking to get 600 hp out of an n/a stock displacement RB is going to require more rpm than the pistons and rods are safe to.

What are everyone's thoughts? Will a head swap get me there? Or do I really need to dive into the shortblock to get to where I need to be?

Thanks,
Nick

Last edited by Blusmbl; 12/08/23 11:26 PM. Reason: beat original goals, continuing thread!

'18 Ford Raptor, random motorcycles, 1968 Plymouth Fury III - 11.37 @ 118