Hi Rick,
Thank you for interjecting your experiences with paint procedures and findings on these cars. This was new to me and definitely un-chartered territory in the world of Mopars. I know a gentlemen that painted the Corvettes when the plant was in St. Louis and he talked about this type of thing as a normal occurrence on those cars. Concerning the Camaro, I was not in any way trying to dismiss or critique the condition of the vehicle. I personally would never comment on specifics or judge a car unless I had seen it in person.
I did spend yesterday afternoon with a GM rep who personally knows Charlie and is familiar with the details concerning that vehicle. He said the thing that really hurts the car is the undercoat job that was done after it left the factory. Apparently holes were drilled in body panels to gain access for the undercoat and areas were covered that concealed many of the factory markings. My foundations started with GM and I really love and appreciate the F Body cars. Not too long ago I sold my 1969 Z/28 Camaro that had only 5246 original miles. It was also a nice example of a survivor car. I am starting to regret ever letting it go. Oh well!