Quote:

Quote:

Dave, (by the way I hope all is well) Who are you restoring the car for??? For yourself?....The people in the hobby? Or for the people that just want to sture the pot?? This might be a question that you need to answer.

Hello Troy! Always good to hear from you. The question was really rhetorical in nature. When you do things like this, the motivation has to burn from within.
Again I wanted to make clear that this will not be a casual clean and wax job. It will actually be MORE involved than the last two cars. I will be documenting aspects that were never even considered with the other cars. For instance, when I remove the tie rods from their sleeves I will count the threads that are protruding from the lock nuts that hold the clamp in place. Why? For a couple of reasons. Number one, I will put them back exactly the way they came off. Same amount of threads showing after the nut. The clocked position of the nuts will also be duplicated when reassembled. Second, it will be interesting to see if the torque specs are in line with how tight the factory originally tightened them. I realize that specifications change once a part has been stressed but it will still be interesting to see how close they were to the published specification. A lot of people talk about how these cars were built in a haphazard fashion, so it will be educational to witness the outcome of some of the findings. I have many other areas that I hope to find facts on regarding how these cars were actually built. I wonder how many other people check torque specs on their cars when they wash, wax and clean the windows?

How are you going to differentiate from "breakaway torque" (what I assume you are measuring when you remove a fastener) and "installed torque" (which is what the factory tightened the fastener too)????
They are most certainly two different values!

Or are you measureing the torque required to return the nut/bolt to its clocked position and recording that value as installed torque? In the case of gaskets, that most certainly would change.

Last edited by Pacnorthcuda; 10/16/08 07:36 PM.