HotRodDave - I'm not trying to get in an argument over this. I just want to make sure all the options are out there for each person to review on their own. For you $700 for the ignition and harness, $900 for a drag pack intake and $400 for a carb and $120 for a fuel pump might be best. You are still going to need to install software and setup the ignition/timing but I admit it will be easier/less expensive than paying to have it tuned. So your deal will cost roughly $2100 to implement (unless you buy used or have parts on hand).

I agree that some engines come without intakes, injectors, harnesses and PCM's. If they do, you better be getting them real cheap and accounting for the cost of replacing those items. If not, you are right the costs can be prohibitive. However, if you buy a complete swap with all the above you are still looking at around the same price with retaining the factory pcm. Yes, you do need an EFI fuel pump, we use the Walbro's and they can be found new for $70 shipped.

I will give you that the carb route will be an overall easier install.

However, there are benefits with the factory PCM that will never be realized with the carb setup. (ie. closed loop fuel control - fuel mileage, intake air temp and coolant temp control, cold and hot start features, idle speed control for A/C activation, charging system control, cooling fan control etc.)

As far as the carb look, have you considered the Indy intakes?