I wanted to give my first impressions of the new motor. One of the reasons I did not realize I had the #1 and #3 plug wires crossed is because it started right up and I EXPECTED a radical idle based on the cam specs. I was a little peeved when I first saw the cam specs because I did not really want a radical idle. Now I am glad I did not say anything, so I did not have to eat any crow.

Well, this motor is quieter AND smoother than the 406 crate motor. The carb is all messed up because I had the plug wires crossed and was cranking on it to get it to idle. But once I get it dialed, I expect this engine to idle surprisingly smooth. Once I static timed it the second time , it ended up being dead nuts on 35 deg timing so I left it there, but once I switch it to the crank trigger I will probably set it at 32 and call it good. LOL

The valvetrain is quiet and I am pretty happy about that. Can you say 9.90's with a hydraulic cam! Woohoo!

I only drove it over to Sloan's house yesterday (about 1 mile) and then about 5 more miles and I was taking it easy. The Rod bearing clearances were just a hair tighter than I like so I did not want to stand on it right away even though I know it is probably better for the rings. It drives quite a bit like the crate motor (which is also a hydraulic roller cam), moves away from a light a little easier, seems to really want to wake up if you goose the throttle. Right now I have the Race Demon RS Carb on it straight off the crate motor, BUT I have a brand new Quick Fuel Technology, Race Q 950 to go on it when I get around to it. I also have to make a new set of plug wires because of the taller Valve Covers. I was not expecting that and a couple of those wires are TIGHT going over the VV covers.

ALSO, UGH, I have to change the trans before I race it. Dave did not have any billet input shafts when he built this trans for me and so I will have to do something about that before I hit the track. He has my spare right now and I am going to light a fire under him to get it back. It's just as well, because I will be pulling the headers to get them coated and can do it then.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT