Quote:

Quote:

Soooo, 500 cube small block Mopar is possible, and yet, I have never heard of anyone building one!

My only question after seeing this post is why has nobody ever built one before now? Why is this all of a sudden common knowledge, yet I have never heard or seen anything even close to that in a sbm before now.

Ron's old motor was 474 inches..... INDY sells a 471" Kit now off shelf....

All it takes is a big crankshaft. Most guys doing SB Mopars are not willing to spend the $ to be honest.

However, a 4.5" crank in a SB package will not really be a great "race motor" combo (it's too much stroke IMO) That's really why no one has done one.... It's unusual to spend this kind of $ on a motor that will not be a max effort deal.

The 4.25" crank would be as big as I'd go for a race motor that needs to turn RPM & make big power.

The journal overlap on this 4.5" will be scary with 2.0" rods.

Good points...

I know of a guy who went from roughly 400 inch smallblock to 450 inch smallblock, and because of the heads(230 indy)he has seem very little gain in performance, the car is just harder to hook because of the 4.25 inch crank instead of the 3.79 and 4 inch stuff he used to run.

The 500 inch smallblock is a cool deal, and as a "one off" piece its mighty intriging.
From a practical standpoint there are bunches of ways to get a smallblock to go 10 flat easily on pump gas with way less inches and cost, but Ron has the "cool factor" pretty much sewn up

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8