Quote:

I have torqued lots of rod bolts and I think you are doing it the hard way.

Here's my routine, if you want it, keep reading!

1)Lube liberally all surfaces that touch any other surfaces, not just the threads, with ARP lube. It makes a difference in both torque and stretch stability values.

2) Use your dial gauge to measure length with no torque.

3) Remove the gauge, set it aside carefully.

4) Torque the bolts up to about 70 lbs in 10 lbs increments, swapping sides each time. Use a high quality 1/2 drive torque wrench.

5) Recheck length with gauge and then remove, etc, increasing torque until you get to the desired stretch.

Leaving the gauge in place and using a 2 ft long wrench is asking for misery. It's also fairly dangerous.

I know what you'll say - taking the gauge off is inviting inaccuracy. But, once you do it a few times you'll realize the gauge is stable enough it is staying accurate.

I also don't agree that you need or want previously un-stretched bolts....if you torque and loosen those bolts five times you'll find they take a 'set' and eventually settle down to a repeatable stretch. That tells me their initial stretch, if that's all you do, is going to relax after a while.

I 100% agree with you as long as you measure EACH bolt as you go. I in fact did a variation of what you say on a couple of mine. Two or 3 times I got just shy of the desired .006-.0064 and to get a small movement and get another .0002 or .0003 is extremely hard with my makeshift wrench. So I would remove the gauge and use a long breaker bar with a socket to turn the bolt another couple degrees and then remeasure.

I have no problem removing and reinstalling the gauge once or several times. It does repeat with very good results.

The PROBLEM I have is some Guys say they did one bolt your way and found that it took THAT BOLT 67 foot pounds to get the desired stretch, so they torqued them all to 67 foot pounds. There are so many variables that would not be the ideal way to do it.

To tell you the truth, all the methods above would "probably" not result in a failed fastener that often , if ever.

I only wanted new Bolts because of what was told to me by Ryan about those specific type bolts.

PS: I do not mind working hard and doing it the hard way if I feel it is the most accurate. That is why I do it the way I do. I watch every bolt stretch as it is happening and it is a struggle, but eliminates all the variables.

SRT DEMON ONE SEAT