They ran us north on 34 for 15 miles to kick us over far enough to miss OK City, then east on 33, at which time my navigator reverted back to his day 1 inability to read the mileage. We were in Custer City, at a point where Darren was arguing it was still twenty miles away. We pulled into a very small gas station, that only had 87.
"We are 108 into this tank of gas, but I'm not running 87", I decided
"I can make it to the next town", Boone added, "But we better not push our luck with Dale's car".
20 miles up the road we came into Thomas OK., and found a much larger station, complete with 5 or 6 fellow DragWeekers and the Hot Rod staff in a Chrysler minivan. Dale pulled over to the side as Boone and I made our way to the pumps. The Hot Rod guys had apparently been shooting pics of incoming cars for a while, and were loading up to head out.
Wes Allison, photog extaordinare, walked up and said, "You 3 are running together"?
"Yep" I said, wondering if he was looking for a rule infraction or something, "four brothers, three cars"!
"Ah..OK", he said. I saw the 'possible story angle' light go off in his eyes. The remaining competitors pulled out of the lot, and the Hot Rod group gave chase. Dale came over and said, "I'm going ahead, you guys can catch up", and took off behind them.
As we were driving through the next town, Boone pulled up beside me, phone to his ear, "It's Dale, he says Hot Rod is taking pics of him driving down the road. Why would they take pictures of the Satellite?"
"Freibuger loves beaters, Boone, anything with patina, that's being ran hard". I was thinking of David's speech at the driver's meeting, "If we pull alongside to take pics, most people either hit the brakes, and we only get the front, or nail the gas and we only get the back! JUST CONTINUE to drive normal". I was wondering which of the 2 sins Dale had perfomed first!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines