We jumped out on the big road, I-40, and ran up to 3200 rpm, that put us running along with traffic pretty well. The semi drivers were doing the slow down and make us pass, then speed up and go by trick, so they could get a good look at the cars. I don't mind, of course, but when they are taking a phone pic with one hand, hollering on the CB with the other, and then trying to give you a thumbs up...well occasionally they borrow a little of your lane! You just need to be prepared to share is all. We were slowly gaining on a pair I recognized from our 2006 outing. Clarke Rosenstengal's 95 Camaro was yellow back then, and ran in Pro-Street but was limited to 10.0, now it's blue has an upgraded cage, and is running Modified normally aspirated. Trailing him is James Fall and his big tired red 74 Vega. These 2 met in 06 when Clarke punctured one of his Sportsman Pro's because the diagonal link came loose. James was pulling a trailer with slicks on it, and loaned them to Clarke, so he could get to the last track, they've been Drag Week buddies ever since.
We were about to pass them 60 miles in, when they exited off the road, We ran on until Shamrock, where we jumped off I-40, and came to our first checkpoint. We hadn't seen anyone for quite a ways, but as we approached the Checkpoint, we saw quite a few at the different stations and eating establishments. The first Checkpoint was an old Conoco Station which had been restored, and turned into a rest area/Texas historical spot.

We shot some pictures, hung out for a bit, and I talked to one of the guys who had been giving me advice on the Drag Radials, he seemed to be doing the entire thing just spectating, and so far I had seen him 3 days in a row with a crisp black X275 Tee on every time, so I figured he really liked the 275 xtreme drag radial stuff...I'm quite the Sherlock Holmes on occasion. We were 100 miles in, so we went up the road a half mile and pulled in for fuel. I filled up while Darren went in for refreshments. He came back out, and I realized the earlier big gulp was calling my name, so I went in for a nature call.
When I emerged, the Valiant was gone, along with Darren and Dale, only Boone was standing there with a funny smile and 2 B bodies, "You get the Satellite", he laughed.
"Where is my car"?
"Left here as soon as you walked in the store"!
You'd think after all these years I'd know not to turn my back on those two...