Dale joined me at the area between the fuel trailer and the guys that were hauling around Monte and his NOS supplied N20 free re-fills. I sent him over to get the 2 vouchers we were allowed for bottle re-fills, from the hotrod staff.
When he returned, I headed over to Monte with my tall skinny bottle that has seen a few days of outside storage in the AZ sun.
"Wow, that's an oldie!" Monte commented
"Yeah, but I keep the certs up"..it IS a particularly ugly specimen.
"It's warm, it'll take a little while to chill it"
"No biggie, I don't need it right now, I'll come back..do you need this voucher"?
"Naw, hang on to it..I'm just pumping gas 'til I run out" he said with a big smile.
I walked away thinking, "He's just as cool in person, as he is on the board, 10 years of dialogue on the internet and we fianlly meet face to face and I don't even introduce myself". Fact is, I was embarrassed with my car, and ulimately, my performance at this point, and that doesn't make me the talkative guy I usually am.
Boone had his slicks on and armed with the new tire guage, and our trusty 12 volt air pump, he was bringing them up to snuff. I took the line off my nitrous fuel solenoid, kicked on the Volumax pump, and drained the 91 into an extra 5 gallon fuel jug, then dumped in the C-12.
Dale had timing light in hand, Setting his and Boone's at 30 for the spray, and bumping mine to 50 again. "Why 50?"
"Well, that's where it was before...your distributor is hard to move..it wants to go back there...you said you didn't trust my light.."
"Yeah, yeah, whatever, get your slicks on".
"I'm squaring Boone's plate at 73 like mine, it was rich at Topeka", Dale was tossing that out there, I could tell
"Sounds good, we got a tale wind today, maybe you guys can lay down a number".

The guys in the Orange 72 Chevelle we'd met at DQ the night before walked over, and one said, "We forgot to air up our air tank, and I need a little air for the air bag.."
"Well, we have a little 12 volt pump"
"We don't have a cigarette lighter"
"We don't either, we cut the plug off, and are just using the leads on the battery, the one with the knot tied in it is negative"
They came back a few minutes later, "That thing works great! Lighter than an airtank, and you don't have to re-fill it!"
"Yeah, it's been a lifesaver so far.." I added.

Boone made it through the lanes first. He caught a great light, and grabbed the nitrous, his comments are as follows: "It was stuck good, I short shifted to 2nd and it was moving. I looked over and realized I had Scott's RoadRunner by more than a car...HaHa motor only huh..oh boy, here he comes..I short shifted drive and pressed the N20 button harder, but his primered front end just kept coming, then the big 70's orange door pulled along side, and we hit the stripe as one, I stared at my win light and it never came on...dang it, that stroker pulls hard"!!
11.76-115.2, Faster than his 493 truck he took in '06 (11.81), faster than his 67 Coronet he drove to Indy in '94 (11.77), so he was very pleased, except for the part about Scott driving around him by 2 thousandths, despite a healthy margin on the tree...that was going to sting for a while.

6841924-DragWeek040.jpg (369 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines