83 to Wheeler was a hilly 2-lane, and I tried my best to find a driving style to maximize the 4200 stall, 2.73 gear, 4500lbs. and cruise speed of 55-60. The egg under the throttle technique, the speed up and coast technique, all to no avail, nothing but a trans heating, gas burning pig I determined!
We headed west on 152, which turned into Ok 6 when we crossed the state line. We didn't catch the dirty car thieves until we were nearly into Elk City, which was the home of our next checkpoint, The Route 66 Museum. I decided the Valiant did look pretty good cruising down the open road. Once at the Museum, we quickly took our required pics, I took my place behind the wheel of the Valiant, and we headed off in search of dinner. The Pizza Hut about 3 miles up the road filled the need nicely, as we had a window seat that allowed us the opportunity to watch our competitors cruise by. Darren and Dale's escapade in the Valiant had put them both in search of a solution for the long shocks.
"We've got a couple options, either shorter shocks or we change from 12" to 14" springs", Dale started in.
"I like the idea of 14" springs".
"Well, Darren called Grand Prix, and they can only get them in 150 lbs., you have 130s".
"When can they have them"?
"He said 7:30 in the morning, hopefully...or certainly by noon", Darren added.
"Naw, I don't like that, I'd like to have something for the track".
"I can get shorter shocks shipped to the store by my house", Dale offered, "But they are Ranchos, so they are more expensive".
"Yeah, Let's go that route", five words to seal my fate...

6852894-DragWeek053.jpg (182 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines