We sat around the pavillions for a little bit after the Awards, and signed banners, talked with people, said our goodbyes, then shuffled out to our pit spot again. The adrenaline and excitement, the drive to see it through were all well and truly gone.
Dale started loading everything back in the Satellite's trunk.
"Man, don't do that", I pleaded.
"Why not, I've got a system now, might as well just put it all back in".
"Darn near your entire car hangs over the back axles of my trailer, and now you want to put all that weight out as far back as possible. We need to load all this heavy stuff into the bed of the 1 ton".
"Ok, fine, whatever. You get in the truck, and I'll hand it to you".
We packed the truck. Darren walked over with his arm around Yoko, "I ordered Pizza. The room I got at the Motel is a family room with table and chairs, a couch, so we can all eat there".
That was pefect, the cheapskate had bought one tank of gas in the Valiant, had no intention of ever paying me back for his share of the motel rooms Monday through Thursday, but now that he had a chick along, he's Mr. Big Spender!!
With everything loaded up, we moved to the cars...sure enough, the Valiant refused to start without a jump, then I nearly drove off the trailer twice despite having 3 "guides" yelling at me, I was just about worthless at that time. Dale loaded the Satellite without a problem, and we finally got the whole mess tied down and ready for the return trip.
When we made it to the motel, and there was only one spot, out front, on a curved curb, where I could fit the 50+ foot rig. With the glare from the Motel lights, the street, and all the rain I was virtually blind. Dad, Boone, and Dale were trying to help me, but it was slow going, because they kept moving out of my vision, and I would just stop. I was more worried about hitting something, or running one of them over, than getting parked. Dad quickly bailed, then Boone ran Dale off. "How can you take directions from him", Boone reasoned, "he's the only one in the family that doesn't have a CDL"!!
Onced parked, I grabbed my bag, went to my room, changed into some shorts, and dove under the covers. I didn't want Pizza, company, nothing, just sleep...awesome, beautifull sleep!!

6901238-160.JPG (165 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines