The 80 some miles to Chanute Ks. went by pretty fast. Boone was worried about Dale falling asleep, so he wanted to stay awake and talk to him, it just wasn't much use.
"Got a wobble in one of those tires, limits us to about 70", Dale commented.
"Take it easy", Boone drawled, silently thanking God for the wobble, maybe that would keep Dale from killing them!
They fueled both cars in Chanute, and Dale bought a cheap convenience store pizza, took one peice for himself, and gave the rest to his kids in the Satellite. It must've set miss Yoko off, because 20 minutes later, Darren, who was leading in the Satellite called back and said, "We're stopping in Iola for a sit-down meal at the A&W".
"Geez", Boone said when Dale informed him, "You're driving like a maniac trying to save 5 minutes and they decide we've got an hour to kill at a restruant"??

Once inside, they ordered, and sat down to eat, Yoko began a running commentary on how superior Braum's Hamburgers are to A&W's, (She's a Braum's manager). "Immature, opinionated, and an egomaniac", Boone thought to himself, "I can see the obvious attraction"! He looked around in horror when he realized he was the only one in thier party who had ordered a Rootbeer float. "You guys dare to enter an A&W, and not get a float", he chided, "Simply un-American"!
"Dave want's us to take 54 to 75, and skip 31".
"No Way"! Darren was emphatic.
"Nope", Dale agreed "I've traveled every inch of the prescribed course so far, and I intend to finish it"!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines