"Dave, you gonna take a shower"? Boone nudged me.
"You first"
"Already did, it's your turn"
"Let Dad go ahead"
"He's already out too"
"Who was beating on the door an hour ago".
"That was Dale, he had to get the kids back, and Yoko had to get back to work, so they loaded up in the Belvedere and left".
"OK, ok, I'm moving".

Unlike Boone, by the time Dad and I got dressed and out of the room, we had missed the continental breakfast. We decided to get some miles under us and look for something a little later. We got about 40 miles out of Topeka, and were well into our discussion of what we were bringing on 2012 DragWeek when I felt that telltale shake, and looked back to see rubber flying, and eased to the shoulder. I walked back to check it out, and realized a small SUV had pulled in behind me.
A chunky, short blonde, late 20's got out and said, "A piece of your tire hit my hood"!
"OK, I'm gonna ease this thing up to that dirt road so I can get off the highway to change this tire, and I'll give you my insurance info".
Once off the road, Boone and Dad set about unbolting the spare, and digging out the jack and 4-way...no easy feat with all the extra crap from the trip on board.
I got my insurance form, and went back to talk to the young lady. She intoduced me to her puppy, explained how she had went to college at Baylor, and had just moved back to Kansas, pretty much her whole life story. I felt bad because they nearly had the tire changed by the time I ran her off.
"We would've waited if you wanted to go back to her place", Dad piped off.
"What are you talking about"??
"She was looking at you like a noontime snack...how many times did she offer you her phone number", Dad laughed.
"She was absolutely hitting on you, man, you couldn't see that"? Now Boone was piling on!
"Poor girl just wanted her car fixed"! I protested.
"Little cowgirl just wanted a roll in the hay, and you didn't notice. Sad, Dave, sad". Boone shook his head.
"Are we ready to roll"! I jumped in the truck and fired it up, they slid in beside.
An old man in a beat up Cummins powered Dodge pulled up, "Ya boys got it under control"?
"Yeah, we're good".
"Had me a 66 like that, when I was young. 383. Dang, she was fast"!

Seems every little town in Kansas has a Sonic, and a Pizza Hut, neither of which struck our fancy. Apparently it worked for the team which took 1st in the new Gasser class with the 53 Ford, because we saw them pulled into one along the way. We finally pulled into a mom and pop Mexican Restruant in Independance, and had an awesome meal, as we hashed out our final plans to dominate the Gasser class next year.

6902833-181.JPG (196 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines