Livin' on Tulsa Time
For you younguns, youtube Don Williams.

I woke to the sounds of Dale's wife heading off to work, and his step son trying to figure out how to escape school for the day. He's a highschool Senior, typical gutted out honda, single seat, fart pipe, street rat type, except he lives in OK, with a Gebhart. So it's a rusty old 78 Aspen with a quickie black paint job, motorhome 440 with stealths, comp hydraulic, torker II, 750, A-body fenderwell exits, header mufflers, and then the gutted interior, and single seat!
"Cody", Dale said, "just go to school, check in, see how many days you've missed, go to first hour, then bail..and DON'T tell your mother I suggested it".
There was no continental breakfast, there was no Boone and Darren. I showered, dressed, and walked out into weather much cooler than we had the previous days, and ominous clouds overhead. Dale was on the phone with Boone, as we jumped into our respective cars, and headed to the track. We went to O'reilly's. "Why are we here", I asked as we parked, "I thought Boone was picking up the parts"?
"Yeah, I was hoping to catch him here...I still have to get some 91 to race on". That darn Boone, left me on the hook again! We went to the station to buy his gas.
We rolled into Tulsa Raceway Park, and it appeared most has already arrived, we found that Boone had saved us a spot. We pulled in and started adding our pile to his.
Jetting the carb up at Amarillo had helped the ET., but I'd went too far for the drive, the Valiant now had black soot on the quarter above the exhaust exit. I decided since we were waiting on track prep, I'd change the plugs. Boone and Dale both started in on the tire shuffle. I noticed Dale still had my bottle in his trunk, "I better go check on your bottles at Monte's trailer, I commented. When I made it over there, the 2 bottles were sitting outside, chilled, but still empty, and Monte had like 4 customers standing in line waiting with thier bottles. My assessment was that this was a job for Dale. "The bottles are sitting outside, and there's a line", I told Dale when I got back, "You better go make some noise". He stepped off immediately in that direction like a man with a purpose, I felt sorry for anyone who got between him and a free re-fill of nitrous oxide!!

6862169-121.JPG (186 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines