"I blip the nitrous and the rpm barely jumps" Dale was complaining about his Satellite.
"Well, it is about 30 degrees cooler out here, maybe the bottle pressure is lower".
They had just called everyone to the lanes, "We've got 10 lanes guys, fill them all up! I was the first to move in our group, and as I came around the corner, I jumped in the middle of the pack, about row 6. Dale and Boone came around next, and went all the way to row 10, against the fence, which was empty at the time, perks of knowing your home track, I guess. I walked up in the lanes, to check out how things were working, and saw a total disaster. At the line where the 10 lanes stop, the asphalt begins to neck down into the 2 lanes leading through a gate, into the water box. Tulsa Raceway Park had no personnel in that area, so it was just a free-for-all to see who got to pull up next out of the lanes. Combine that with the fact we were starting an hour or more late, and everyone was worried about the weather holding up, and it made for some anxious moments.
"I'm embarrassed to call this my home track", Dale was incensed, "They've got a skeleton crew out here, they are taking forever to prep the track...they are the slowest track in the world when it comes to getting cars down the track, and the anouncer is up there blithering on about how great the traction is, and how everyone is gonna break parts 'cause the track is awesome".
"Just relax, we're going to get our runs".
Things started moving, and Dale quickly jumped up into the line, Boone jumped in about 6 sets later. I walked up to watch them, as I was 5 cars back in my lane, and the fast guys were all muscling thier way in, so I figured it would be a while.
Dale torqued off the line, grabbed the horn/N20 button, the car fell on it's face, with black smoke rolling. He let off the nitrous, the car recovered then motored down to a 14.15-98. "Now he REALLY won't be happy", I thought to myself. 2 sets later the Yellow 'Vette of Doc Fox did it's now famous you-tube spin off the line, nearly hitting the wall. What you don't see in the video is that he was spewing his own anti-freeze on the track which led to the problem, and then he drug it all down the track.
"We are down for an extended clean-up, this is going to be a long day"! I told Boone.
He was about 5 sets back from the burn-out box, and had the pump on his bad slick again. "This thing is only good for about 10 minutes", Boone looked disgusted, "So I need to know when I'm gonna go, and they keep bringing the fast cars in front of me".
Dale came back up, already in the back of the lanes, "what happened"?
"Doc Fox lost antifreeze all over the left lane".
"Why aren't they running just the right lane"?
"Ask them, I don't know".
He stormed off towards the Christmas tree.

6863221-102.JPG (165 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines