The jaunt down KS Scenic Byway into Dover put us 26 miles into the trip. Shortly after that, the big road, we eased onto I-70, and I found myself effortlessly hanging with the tractor-trailer crowd at around 3100 rpm. The temp was hanging around 205 unless I stayed behind anyone for very long...she liked to be out in the open air. Dale and Boone were alternating phone calls to Darren to check on location, once on I-70 they had a chance to stretch out those 2.76 gears, and were gaining fast.
"We take exit 300 to 57 north" Darren said, studiously reading the HRDW route directions
"What's the total miles at that point"?? I asked, with no speedo/Odo, and no gas guage, I was dependant on the sheets handed out to track fuel needs.
"80 miles, pretty much"
"Yeah, we better stop, I have no idea what to expect", I replied.
We pulled into the first large modern atation we saw off the interstate. It was filled halfway with other competitors, and halfway with people who just seemed to be enjoying the show!! This was a scene that would repeat itself the whole trip, the general public's enjoyment, curiosity, positive support was overwhelming; the car culture this country has enjoyed for a century shows no signs of wavering!!
The tank refused to take a full 6 gallons, shutting off in the 5.8-5.9 area, Boone was about the same, Dale at 8.4...the price of being the pack mule!
One of the 8 second monsters pulling a trailer pulled to the pump as we pulled out of the way and everyone was milling around conversing. The owner of the car asked Dale, "Geez, how fast were you guys going when you went around us."
"About a hundred" Dale laughed, "We saw you up ahead, and decided to buzz by you"!!
A local police officer had been walking among the cars, admiring them, and he spoke up, "Hope you didn't do that on my roads"!
Dale spun around and his face flushed red, "Uh...no, uh, that was up on the interstate..."
"Good", said the officer, "Not my jurisdiction"!

20 more miles into Abilene Ks. for checkpoint #2, a pic in front of a western wear sign. As we pulled into Abilene, it had the feel of a cruise night, with competitors parked at every resturant, hanging out talking. I waved at KSJ, Mike Crow, and several other guys standing around thier cars. We had pulled out of HPT with only 5 or so guys left at the track, and my brothers lamenting that we would miss "the show" of everyone making the drive, but wih 177 cars, and people seeming to be taking there time, we were in the thick of things.

6839878-DragWeek017.jpg (255 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines