I pulled into the pits beside Boone. He had the hood up, and a sour look on his face. "11.68, I believe that makes me the quickest brother on DragWeek"!
"I was on an 11.50 before this head gasket let go", he retorted.
"Where'd you pop it"?
"'Bout 1100 feet".
"No, where on the motor"?
"Back cylinder on the passenger's side, it's puffing out against the firewall. Called Dale, he said we'd just change it here".
"Heck no, just drive it to Dale's house, I don't want to change it in front of all these prying eyes".
"What about screwing up the surfaces"?
"Fire it up".
He did, it was squirting a white water/oil mixture on the firewall in about a 3 inch span. "Naw, you ain't gonna hurt nothin', you took enough of it out that you don't have to worry about that"!
"Well, OK..Let's go turn in our time slips".
We walked to the tower, up to the second floor, showed them our checkpoint pics and handed in our timeslips. When Boone handed his to Tonya, she turned and looked him the eye, "You got a little animated down there in the lanes, didn't you"? Through his sunburned and windburned face no-one else in the tower probably noticed, but I saw him redden and wince, "Yeah, yes I did, I probably overreacted a bit". She handed him his official slip, and he couldn't get out of that tower fast enough.

6864248-119.JPG (109 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines