Interlude:
I'm always told I have darn near photographic memory, and it is a gift I cherish. DragWeek puts you on sensory overload however, and it's difficult for me to write this story in the cronological style I usually try to employ.

A few tales are just better told separate of the normal narration, this is one:

The Great Nitrous Bottle Debacle.
Dale and I are hard core nitrous abusers; Boone,and Darren are not, as such they don't have much experience dealing with the pushers, peddlers and dealers that ply in the trade. I've always had a plethora of old, tall skinny bottles, that I try to maintain regularly, including trips to Phoenix's premier handlers of pressurized bottles for regular tests and certs.
When we started this plan, I brought 4 of my bottles to OK with me, but as I've been away from racing for a while, they were out of date. Dale had 1, and we bought 2 more off Ebay. Darren found a small gas dealer who claimed he could get 5 of them certed and hydrotested, for 20 bucks a pop. When he went to pick them up he got tagged for a 5$ a peice "visual inspection" as well! We had two filled immediately with no problems. Darren brought them home and dropped them off. We sent Boone to fill two more on Saturday before leaving, and he came back empty handed.
"One was plugged with what appears to be Mud dobbers nests, and the other has a blown pressure disc", he reported. Sure enough both bore fresh certs. "How in the heck did they pass cert??"..."and where is my bottle nut!" Boone got a strange look on his face, "Dang it, he took it off, and I guess..." "Boone! you can never, NEVER trust a N20 filler with your bottle nut, geez!!!"
When we arrived at Topeka, Dale's 15lb NX bottle was mounted but that was it, he installed the rest of his N20 system Monday morning, only to find Darren had never re-installed the nut, Darren just shrugged, and said, "Guess I left it in the RamCharger". Dale luckily found one from a nearby chevy racer. He then proceeded to completely plug the N20 filter in 5 passes...another of the recently tested bottles that we had the valve replaced in, I guess a clean-out would have been extra!! Cheating is not supposed to be this hard! Moral to the story, if you are new to Nitrous use..hang on to your nuts!!!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines