When Dad and I eased the Valiant through the tunnel at Heartland Park Topeka, as odd as it may seem, a flood of emotions came with it, eerily similar to the feelings I had when I completed my first Marathon. I had left that exact same spot on Monday, having never driven the Valiant on a public road, now with 1250 miles under our belt, it felt like second nature to pull out into city traffic and go wherever a stab or steer might take us. "We've come a long way, baby", I congratulated.
"Don't call me baby, Son...that's just not right", Dad grumbled.
We jettisoned our meager payload into a small pile, near the general area that we had pitted in on Monday, as I figured that would be easiest for the others to find. Then I headed up to the pumps to buy race fuel. I stood there pumping gas and talking to another racer, just like we had at all the stops on the way, when I realized, this is 8.50 a gallon race fuel, and I'm not supposed to be filling up!
I was greeted by the track announcer when I returned, he and his wife had raced a 62 Valiant previously, and while we met briefly on Monday, it was so hectic, he never really had a chance to look the car over. Now we had time to converse, and go over the car, the modifications, and my trip.
Dad had walked up and started talking along with several other guys, when Kyle from 1320 video walked up in the group with his ever present camera on his shoulder.
"How did everyone's trip from Tulsa go"? Kyle asked.
"The blown red 240Z was having problems, when he stopped for E-85 at Kum&Go, then later he ended up on a church parking lot with a spun rod bearing", my Dad started in.
"Really", Kyle prodded.
No gentle nudge needed here, my Dad got both hands going, and raised his voice, while leaning into the group for emphasis. The master orator was in his element, with a story to tell, and an interested audience! I stepped away to take a phone call from Boone, knowing...they were going to be standing in that circle for a while!

6884945-067.JPG (188 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines