Dale and I walked back down to talk and hang with Boone. We'd been there a few minutes when they announced, "We are going to let you guys go back to the pits, and call you back up later if you want".
A few cars pulled out, and Boone moved closer to the line, still warily eying the Nova Wagon. Doc Fox came up and started talking to Rick in the Wagon, and made the mistake of saying, "Well, if all these Daily Drivers weren't up here hotlapping you probably would have got another hit..".
That set Boone off, "I worked on this all night to get here and try to qualify for the 32 car field, I haven't made a run yet, and I don't plan on wasting my first one like he did"!!!
Doc Fox looked stunned, Rick and his buddy looked liked it may get difficult for them to control thier emotions. I was glad for the fifty or so feet between the two groups.
"Sorry man, didn't realize anyone hadn't got a run yet", Doc replied.
"Yeah, it's been a long day, he's up on the edge, just wished they'd started a little earlier", I commented, and it seemed the situation was diffused.
Finally, they announced that all cars with a run could go back to the pits, they were just going to try and get a run for those who didn't have one, and then go directly into the 32 car Daily Driver bracket race.
We waited a while longer, but it was becoming increasingly clear that nothing was going to happen, the moisture was getting worse, darkness was closing in, and the temp was dropping quick.
The loud speaker finally crackled to life again, "Guys, we are not going to be able to get this in, so we have decided to call the event, and determine the winners off the first four days. Since not everyone got a run, we don't feel it would be fair to take anything from today. Impound is open, you can go get your trailers, and we will start the awards presentation in about an hour".
"This is stupid", I regaled "They should have used the results from today, and the five or six guys that didn't get a run should be DQ'ed as non-finishers"!!
"I agree", Dale added "THAT would be fair, they should have ran already"!
"Hey", Boone looked at us both with a wry smile, "You guys are JERKS"!!!

6901057-134.JPG (153 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines