Quote:

It is definitely an admirable gesture to be benevolent with something of perceived (or actual) value but the point I was trying to make had to do with the actual vehicle. Prior to the Broadcast sheet being found, what changed about the car? How did finding the paperwork change anything regarding what the car was or represented? Nothing! The guy wanted another $1500 for finding the Broadcast sheet. In essence, the seller was taking a lean against the "new found" value of the vehicle. The logic has to work in both directions. You shouldn't be able to use the paperwork to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the value of a vehicle that has been manipulated or messed with. If a car (that is no longer original) can be verified with a Broadcast sheet, then why can't an all original car be the verification to obtain reproduction paperwork? For instance, lets say that you find a 440 Six Pack that no longer has it's original engine. The color has also been changed from what it originally was. The VIN plate and fender tag verify what the car was prior to being converted and altered. If that car was sold, would it be less valuable because the Broadcast Sheet was missing? Would the EXACT same vehicle be worth MORE just because the Broadcast Sheet was with it? Is the value of ANY car based on what IT actually is or what a piece of paper says it is?

Pretty soon we will be discussing whether a tree makes noise when it falls IF no one is around to hear it!

Finding the broadcast sheet changed everything. It validated/verified/authenticated what the car REALLY is and that makes it more valuable/desirable/marketable. I had a previous owner hold a broadcast sheet ransom from me once. My car was a Black Hemi RR with a very unusual stripe combination. Until that sheet showed up there was no way to prove the color and stripe combination was authentic to my car. So did getting the broadcast sheet change things. Yes!!!. The car would have cost me much more had the sheet been with it when I bought it. The second owner was the one that had the sheet, I bought the car from the 4th owner. So, paying his ransom was justified but certainly not what I would have done. If I had the sheet or any form of documentation for a car belonging to someone else it would be given free to the owner, only a gesture of appreciation would be necessary. I also have another Black 69 RR with V21 hood stripes and V7R Red accent stripes. I have two broadcast sheets, the original window sticker and the original fender tag for that car! Without all of that stuff I would have never even looked at buying that car. To me, factory authentication of rare colors, options, etc is important and is what drives the values. That's why clones are worth less than fully documented factory built cars. An analogy of a gum wrapper to a broadcast sheet is absurd!

Thanks,
Eric
email eric@musclemopars.com
715-426-HEMI (Shop)
612-669-CARS (Cell and Texts)

Go to my Moparts "Profile" to see my web site