Quote:

Quote:

....Case in point..In 2005, I owned a '69 superbee(pictured) that was basically an untouched survivor. Only the wheels had been changed. The broadcast sheet and fender tag(2) were missing. Just looking at the car it was obvious it is a highly optioned car. I talked to Galen about it and he said it wasn't worth being restored because of the missing tags and sheet. What a load of crap.....

Hello Fred,
This is exactly the point I was trying to make earlier. Someone deems themselves the "ruler" of the Hobby, proceeds to fabricate a bunch of self serving guidelines and another person walks away upset and disgruntled. I have had quite a few phone calls concerning this thread so I want to make myself a bit clearer on the subject. I think that ANY vehicle documentation is great to have and actually the best case scenario when buying/owning a car. I am NOT trying to change the importance of what this paperwork has meant to these vehicles and our Hobby. I just hope that some common sense can be used in conjunction with what has been conveyed over the past few years.

After hearing your story Fred, I want to apologize to you for what happened! It was wrong and the grief that you felt was completely unjustified. These cars have certainly become collectible commodities! With that said, would any of you get rid of your home if the Deed was lost or destroyed in a fire! Would you get rid or destroy your personal vehicle if the title was lost? Would you quit driving if you lost your driver's license? Of course NOT! So why treat these cars any differently? THEY (not the paperwork) create the importance of what they are.

One final point I want to make concerning vehicle documentation and paperwork. If you lost a title to your car and had the DMV replaced the original, would the replacement be illegal or a "fake"? If you lost your Birth Certificate and received a replacement, would the copy be considered a "fake"? If you lost your Driver's License and the DMV issued another, would it be considered a "fake"? I am not trying to politic or promote replacement paperwork, I just hope it is understood that not EVERYONE is a crook because they want replacement paperwork for their collector car. There are legitimate sources that can provide some of these documents. When we start to wrongfully label people for asking simple honest questions, we only weaken the backbone of our hobby. It is pitiful to think that some are so closed minded, that they felt the only option was to "part out" a PERFECTLY good/valuable vehicle because of some incorrect, brainwashed, opinionated rhetoric regarding documentation!

Great thread with a lot of well thought out opinions expressed. I gotta say that Dave makes a very compelling case that has needed to be articulated for a very long time. More than one thing can be true at the same time.

This whole argument is really only about money. No one wants to get ripped off or have the value of their vehicle diluted by counterfeits. But what Dave wrote is true too...

Until total honesty is on the table, we're not even talking about reality...