For years in many of the brands (such as GM) the Protecto Plate was the preferred form of documentation. There was also the build sheet which was also a great suppliment to the protecto plate. As time went on, both forms became more susceptible to reproduction. I remember when I had my bigblock Corvette and Chevelle which was documented with the bill of sale and the above documentation, it seemed more advantageous for resale value.

Big block Corvette prices went thru the roof and it seemed that there were 3000 427/425 HP cars out there even though Chevy made far fewer than that. People were restamping blocks everywhere and you could buy or rent the tools from the classifieds. I see Daves arguement and its a good one, valid too, but I would think I would give additional value to a car that would have multiple forms of documentation.

Would I pay more for a car with a build sheet and a non-matching number engine? Probably not. Would I pay more for a car with a build sheet, and a numbers matching engine? Hmm probably so, especially if the car is an upper end automobile like a 440 six pack, Hemi etc, 340 six pack.

I have one of those California built cars with no build sheet. And yes, the build sheet wasnt present and wasnt meant to be a form of documentation, as assembly line workers did usually discard. We have gotten a bit off the subject to the original post. And I sometimes like to play the old Devils advocate. I think Scott unintentionally slipped on the ole slippery slope when he said "if it wasnt original, it was a fake." I dont think you should confine that to documentation only. The roles Dave and Scott play to the restoration hobbyist is very important, and I dont think the poster was trying to fool anyone with making up a repro broadcast sheet. Ive thought about doing the same thing from time to time as a conversation piece. I couldnt reproduce the font of course, and couldnt accurately reproduce the true options in the boxes, and I think it only ethical to type in reproduction at the bottom. My ole 70 Challenger RT/SE is just a non numbers matching 383 car anyway, and you cant make a prize winning bull out of a sow anyway. Fit and finish on a rotisserie is what Im trying to accomplish not complete factory authenticity mistakes and all. d I will be looking for Daves "top it off" items such as stickers, door vin tag, emissions tag, yada yada yada. Just cause I like things looking new, not because Im trying to fake out anyone.