I believe one of the problems with installing the grommets has to do with proper fit. If these grommets were installed by the manufacturer that might make the carpet one dimensional for the end user. If the grommet was incorrectly positioned, connecting it to the clip might keep the carpet from sitting correctly in the floor pan. I considered installing these myself but was worried that if they were not positioned exactly correct for a person’s car, the “grommet” feature becomes a moot point and would not be able to be used. Let me clarify that I know these grommets were used on some cars. The bottom line is that no manufacturer is going to pigeon hole their product to possibly be incorrect due to subtle variations between vehicles. I would suggest spending a little extra time putting the grommet in yourselves if this is such an important feature. That way you can be guaranteed that they are positioned specifically for your car. For those who do not have the clips, that makes installation even easier! Once installed it will look just like a factory job!