It's finally running again after a 4 year hiatus. Sure felt good to hear it fire up again!
That's the second time it sat for 4 years.

Because it sat so long, Decided to make sure the oil pump was primed, so I pulled the distributor and intermediate shaft.
The bottom of the bronze gear is the part that’s always bothered me, more than the teeth, as the bottom always wears the fastest. The teeth have always lasted quite awhile.
50 turns of a speed handle was what it took to prime the oil pump, not bad at all for sitting so long, 70psi shown with the speed handle, 80psi running cold.
I think I have vr1 20w50 in it but it’s been 4 years/might be something else but I doubt it.

A Few things went wrong. Secondary needle and seat was stuck bad, got a nice geyser of fuel out the rear bowl vent at first. Freed that up and of course the float level needed to be set again, had to mess with it a bit.
To do the bodywork and get the whole door jambs and all painted I had to remove a lot of underdash wiring and so on to get the dash out of the way, which made a unique mess all it’s own, so the fuel pump and msd are temporarily hooked up
to wiring which had turned into spaghetti really quick when I removed about 2/3 of it, but had to leave the rest of it in place to make sure it'd still run....this is an example of horrible sentence structure.
There aren’t any gauges hooked up at all, other than an oil pressure gauge laying on top of the engine for now.

With it running it'll be alot easier to move the car around to make it easier/safer to re-install the door glass (I'm not willing to risk banging the door on a hoist post so this was a step I needed to take),
and do most of the other work. Also with it running again soon I'll have the opportunity to fix the leaking hoist ram that has driven me bonkers for a couple years......
It was good to hear the little 451 again and get a few Gearhead Feels happening. It's been a good engine for me and it taught me a thing or twelve.

fireup24.1.jpgfireup24.2.jpgfireup24.3.jpg

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri