So....what was the problem?

I'd seen a few show vehicles that had the quarter extensions seam sealed, I liked the look and had some aspirations, but when I attempted it on a humid day
I very quickly learned the meaning of "moisture cure product". The seam sealer set up in about 15 seconds, before I could even pull the tape it'd started going off, and I couldn't tool it smooth.
It came out lumpy and ugly looking. I botched that pretty bad.

Lack of experience said it would probably be okay, maybe.
The most idiotic Negative self-talk ever said "don't worry, something else on the job will be far worse than that, and it won't really matter in the grand scheme of things"
So I did base and clear.

Later I got close to being finished with correction and realized....The Negative Idiot is totally wrong, and I never should have let it go.

As great as it might feel to conquer an obvious personality/judgement flaw through hard work, the next question was.....what's the best repair for this one area and how do I talk myself into it?

High quality seam sealer ain't coming off without a fight.
I had to go back down to bare metal in those areas and repair it.

Blending silver metallic base is no joke for an amateur, even when you use the exact same batch of paint it's a bit of a guessing game.
Fortunately I'd bought a mini gun years ago which helped keep the blend small, I'd studied extensively on YouTube and the forums where I lurk, but some trial and error was needed
to get the air pressure where it needed to be. Eventually I stopped looking at the gauge and had to do it by sight and sound.

The blend came out well, the repair as a whole isn't perfect in microscopic detail but is plenty good enough for me, and a huge improvement over the mess I started with/created.

Needless to say I'll not make that mistake again (along with many other undocumented errors, already fixed, and so stupid they were not even worth talking about).

Every day is a school day.

QEmess1.JPG

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri