Originally Posted By Monte_Smith
Originally Posted By Jerry Kathe
Monte…..your jeep has a CV shaft in it….do you understand what this is or how it works? My guess is no or you wouldn't have used this to push your belief.

Seriously, you think I don't know what a CV joint is??? And NO, my CJ5 does NOT have CV joints and here is a couple pics to prove it. This is stone stock, factory suspension from AMC. Single flanges and a single trunion joint, both front and rear. Didn't bother to pull skid plate to show joint at transfer case, but it's the same as rear, all single trunion. Nor does my lifted early 80s Power Wagon have CV joints. Maybe it is just my camera angle, but these seem to be pretty damn far from parallel planes..........LOL!!!

I have had this JEEP a LONG time and have never put the first joint in it myself.

You guys are so obsessed with equal angles to keep the shaft from speeding and slowing, that you overlook one other important fact and that is which setup is easier to turn and eats less power. Less angles, eat less power. Now unfortunately, straight at one end and an angle at the other DOES vary joint speed, that I will NOT argue.......BUT obviously it is NOT a big deal as there are millions of vehicles on the road and track, this very same way. So the question is which way transfers more POWER. As with anything else, it is all about leverage. More angles, less leverage.

Monte

Your correct.....it does not have a CV joint shaft. The slip yoke between the joints was considered enough of a relief to handicap the problem, all this did was eat away at the slip yoke and splines - all new engineered vehicles now incorporate the various configurations of CV joints along with the slip joints. Evidently this is a fairly older Jeep. And....yes the slip joint is primarily to absorb the arc travel between the suspension and fixed components, which it does well.

Rethink your comment on the angle and absorption of power.....you make one end straight and use the other end to articulate the entire working angle what did you accomplish with reducing the working angle?....I'll get that one for you; NOTHING.

and finally.....you post this picture of your personal vehicles drive shaft with the joints clearly out of phase....don't recognize it prior to posting and then still don't recognize this when pointed out by another member until in depth explanation is provided. This speaks volume on your technical education with drive line geometry.....Time to tap out on this deal......good luck buddy.