Originally Posted By Evil Spirit
[i]
Originally Posted By Monte_Smith

How about a picture. So according to some of you THIS would be considered CORRECT since the engine/trans and rear are on the same angle. Even though the rear joint angle is over center and going to get worse on accel.........OK, find me a chassis guy who would set a rear angle up like this on a race car, thinking that is good to go and I will be quiet. For further clarification, we will even say this is where it is under power. Now I was always taught, that you NEVER want the rear joint to go over center under power in a race car.........but apparently it seems all those people who say that are full of hooey......LOL!!!

If in your picture the angles are in fact being measured under power, making the trans 3* down, and the pinion 3* up, this makes the tailshaft and pinion parallel - HOW IN THE H*** IS THE U-JOINT GOING OVER CENTER? It's the mirror image of the front, and would cancel out the angles. Since in most cases this would be a big tire - ladder bar/4 link situation with little movement from static to loaded, I would set the pinion at 0-1* up, figuring it would only gain 2* under power and end up at 3* UP to cancel out the 3* DOWN of the tailshaft. At that point the u-joint IS NOT "OVERCENTERED" - it hasn't went past the front u-joints mirrored angle.

I believe Monte drew that at static conditions. At the hit on leaf springs, that will end up ~+6 over center. Just hammering home the point that mirroring the trans and pinion angles at static conditions do not work in every situation.