Originally Posted By Jerry Kathe
Monte…..your jeep has a CV shaft in it….do you understand what this is or how it works? My guess is no or you wouldn't have used this to push your belief.

Seriously, you think I don't know what a CV joint is??? And NO, my CJ5 does NOT have CV joints and here is a couple pics to prove it. This is stone stock, factory suspension from AMC. Single flanges and a single trunion joint, both front and rear. Didn't bother to pull skid plate to show joint at transfer case, but it's the same as rear, all single trunion. Nor does my lifted early 80s Power Wagon have CV joints. Maybe it is just my camera angle, but these seem to be pretty damn far from parallel planes..........LOL!!!

I have had this JEEP a LONG time and have never put the first joint in it myself.

You guys are so obsessed with equal angles to keep the shaft from speeding and slowing, that you overlook one other important fact and that is which setup is easier to turn and eats less power. Less angles, eat less power. Now unfortunately, straight at one end and an angle at the other DOES vary joint speed, that I will NOT argue.......BUT obviously it is NOT a big deal as there are millions of vehicles on the road and track, this very same way. So the question is which way transfers more POWER. As with anything else, it is all about leverage. More angles, less leverage.

Monte

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 05/09/15 04:02 PM.