Originally Posted By justinp61
Monty, why don't you tell us how to set up the correct pinion angle instead of telling everyone they are wrong? Tell us how YOU set up both scenarios, trans lower than the rear and trans above the rear. Leaf springs too. IMO, unless you provide some examples your posts are nothing more than opinion. Long on opinion and really short on facts.
I HAVE........NUMEROUS times, but everybody wants to argue about it, talk about parallel planes, driveline angles and a bunch of other stuff that DON'T matter......PINION ANGLE is simply THAT......PINION ANGLE. And pinion angle is SIMPLY defined as the relationship of the pinion and the driveshaft.....That's it, ALL there is to it....... So if you want 3 degrees of pinion angle, you break out the protractor, measure the pinion flange, the driveshaft angle, set it at 3 degrees difference and you are DONE......period, end of story. Don't matter if the trans points straight, down, up.........it don't freaking matter. So there, I have explained it for about the umpteenth time and shortly the others will be along talking about up and down angles, parallel universes, black holes and all kinds of other stuff that doesn't matter and how uninformed I am..........One more thing, ANY setup that has the pinion pointing UP and also the rear of the driveshaft pointing UP........is flat WRONG. The ONLY time and I repeat ONLY time the pinion could point UP and possibly be right, is if the REAR joint is LOWER than the front joint. In ANY scenario that the FRONT joint is LOWER than rear, the pinion should NEVER....EVER point UP. That's just as plain as I know how to make it.

And my FACTS, come from 35+ years of both building and setting up race cars, from Stockers to Pro-Mods. Not everybody, few in fact, have tube chassis cars, with the motor properly aligned to the rear to make things ideal. So in that scenario, you deal with the hand you are dealt. And ANY reputable chassis builder will tell you that IDEAL, is to have all this stuff in perfectly straight alignment when the car is under power. This fact the others do NOT argue, but this only happens in purpose built cars generally. So in lieu of "ideal" alignment, you do the best you can under given circumstances. THAT entails having it straight IN THE REAR while under power, the only angle being the FRONT joint.....and THAT is why PINION ANGLE is defined as the relationship of pinion flange to driveshaft. And that is why leafs, ladder bars, 4 links etc have different numbers. Some rotate more than others to align the pinion STRAIGHT with the driveshaft, while under power......

But like I said, others will be along shortly with things about equal joint angles, parallel planes and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't apply to RACE cars..........so form your own opinion. So there is NOTHING more I can say, nor can I be any more clear. Also, I won't change their minds and they won't change mine, so it is up to you to figure out who to listen to

Monte

Last edited by Monte_Smith; 05/08/15 03:47 AM.