I was still strapping down cars and re-organizing all my stuff when Boone called and told us they were starting the awards ceremony. It seems like that portion of Drag Week lasted about 30 minutes in 2006, and grows about an hour every year, into the time eating monster it is now! I gave my camera to Rachael, and sent her on up with instructions to take pictures of Boone when he received his plaque. The sun disappeared behind the trees as I drove my 1 Ton and two car trailer up closer to the pits. I could see Steve's truck and trailer parked under one of the large trees near the back of the property, it was the only rig left that far out at this point. Darryl had used the fact that everyone was under the tent, to hit the track shower after working on his truck. He was in our pit spot, tossing his bag back in his truck when I walked up.
"Did Ken ever come back?"
"Nope, we had someone here the entire time, and we were looking out for his car."
We went to the edge of the tent, and watched as John Faraone was called up for "The Quickest Mopar" Plaque. Eddie Miller gave him a hearty congratulation when he headed up to get it, but then DF said, "I believe that 7.85 was the single quickest run ever by a Mopar on Drag Week". I glanced at Eddie as soon as Freiburger uttered those words and saw a vein pop out on the side of his neck, and his jaw harden like he'd just bit a persimmon. It took a good fifteen seconds before he could resume a his normal jovial persona!

7946122-100_0994.jpg (171 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines