Darryl was long gone by the time we got up and started getting around, and the oppressive heat of the last two days, was already making it's hasty return.
Dale and I were discussing his debacle from the night before. "When we made it to the exit for checkpoint two, John Faroane's Valiant Charger was on the side of the road with four police cars behind it, but I think the first one just stopped to help them, then called all his buddies to come check it out!" He laughed.
"I can imagine that call, telling them he's got a tubbed out, twin turbo, Australian car with two big guys in it that talk funny!"
"We saw him again once we came off of I-55 to I-70, so I think he got the call from someone to skip that little detour", Dale added.
"So, what's wrong with the Gremlin?"
"The 'glide is toast, it's just burnt up completely!" He shook his head and shrugged.
I was surprised how well he seemed to take it in stride.
"Just lucky we even made it here last night", he smiled.

I got a call from Darryl, "Don't kill yourself getting out here, they took forever to get started, and then that red 69 Mustang coupe slapped both walls, so we are waiting for them to get him off the track!"
"That car wasn't THAT fast..."
"Stuff happens pretty fast at 100 mph, when it goes wrong!" He reminded me.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines