The last thirty miles, after we cleared Russellville, were the toughest just because the fatigue had really set in and we just wanted it over. We were coming into Bowling Green from the southwest, and our motel was on the northeast side of town. I had no desire whatsoever to drive through the heart of town, so I took a loop on a hunch that it would get me to I-65. It worked out great, and even though the time on the big road added about 5 miles, I felt it was worth it!

We pulled into the crowded Super 8 parking lot, and found a spot in the back. James started shuttling our stuff to the rooms as I called Boone, to find out how far out they were. I noticed a few of the GM boys huddled around a 64 Buick, so I went over to talk with them while I passed the time waiting for Boone to arrive. I noticed their lively bench racing session was fueled by a fifth of whiskey that was being passed around, and wondered where they found the energy. That may explain why they were some of the few drag weekers still at the hotel, when we were ready to leave the next morning!

7941113-100_0971.jpg (115 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines