When I turned in my slip, the conversation in the tower was the Daily Driver bump, and I was shocked to find out it was projecting to be around twelve flat! We had figured our twelve thirties and forties were in the ballpark, and we hadn't been paying attention apparently. I talked with the track manager about options for leaving the Gremlin behind, and he was very helpful with a few possible solutions, so I started to feel like abandoning the car was a viable option, as we had Robert available to transport the misplaced driver and trunk monkey.

When I returned to the pits, Dale was working the phone with a friend of a friend who lived in St. Louis. He is a mopar guy who Dad built a 727 for a year or two ago, and fortunately for us it worked well, so he was willing to drop everything he was doing on a Wednesday afternoon, hook up to his car trailer, and come pick up the Gremlin at a moments notice!

Once again, we went through the process of what to leave behind in the Gremlin, and what to take with us. Since the Gremlin hadn't really been carrying it's own weight anyway (excepting Dale's fat butt, and that's asking plenty) it was more a matter of just jettisoning a few things the rest of us had been carrying that were crucial to the Gremlin's survival. The keys to Dale's truck and trailer in Bowling Green probably should have been one of the items removed from the Gremlin, but that's a bridge we will cross later in the story!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines