The pits were really thinning out by this time, and Keith Turk came by to check on us.
"We may have to leave one of our cars", I explained, "So it's ok if we drive it back to impound, and drop it off."
"Yeah, shouldn't be problem, if you take it down there and leave it, then walk back up and join your group!" He was agreeable.
"Well...we thought we may have to take a car or two back there to pick up the driver..."
"You're a dang Drag Racer aren't you!" He pointed his finger at me accusingly, "I can pick 'em out of every crowd!"
"Oh yeah, guilty as charged! I've hung out in the Stock Eliminator pits at a National event and listened to all the old timers brag about the stuff tech never caught them on!"
"We just don't do that stuff in LSR racing!" He shook his head.
"I get that" I affirmed, "You have to respect your fellow competitors."
With that he went over to check on the other group still in the pits. Tom Taylor's Blue 79 Nova was under one of the huge shade trees, and it was getting plenty of attention from Troy Woolsoncroft, and Dan Wilcox, while their rides sat nearby. Troy would tell me later that Tom had popped a head gasket, and they decided to change both!

With Boone and I busy with the Belvedere, Dale turned his attention to helping Darren with the Charger. They wired in a spare tachometer, since the original had never recovered from the initial start-up last year, and they managed to finally get the nitrous hooked up, so it could live up to the "power adder' part of the class he had entered.

Darryl was well on his way, as this picture from Robert attests.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines