"Well, how is your search for 'glide stuff?" I questioned Dale as we watched a few more cars go down.
"Not good", he shrugged, "everyone who has spare parts say it's too early in the week to loan them out, as they may still need them."
"Sounds like they don't have much confidence in their transmissions!"
"Nope, and secondly they asked if I had a spare converter."
"What's that about?"
"They all say I broke the converter first, then that led to the quick fluid temp rise that burned up the tranny."
"Well, that's certainly plausible...I'd have to agree with that assessment."
"So, without a fresh converter, a fresh tranny rebuild isn't going to get us to Memphis.
"You still need to take the start beam."
"Why?"
"To prove you made it here, this far, especially after what you went through last night, and then that gives us an option to work on it after racing is done today...something might come up."
"Yeah, I suppose."
I could tell his heart wasn't in it. The fact that it was running much slower than he expected, the rear suspension problems, the limited driving range on fuel, it had slowly sucked the fight right out of him. "You need to get the Satellite up there and make a good run in it".
"You aren't going to try it again?"
"Nope, I'm just going to tear it up, you have a better handle on it than I do."
"Alright", he smiled and punched my shoulder, "guess we better see if Boone has the truck ready to go up yet."

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines