My assessment, as I continued down I-70 in the closing darkness, under threatening skies, passing through one lane construction restrictions every 5 or 10 miles, was that I might as well just take it nice, slow, and let them catch up. To that effect I was only running along at 26-2700 RPM and letting all the frustrated truckers blow around me when we entered a good section of road.
We were roughly ten miles from the first checkpoint when I recognized the headlights of the Barnyard Viper gaining on me.

James woke Dale up with concern in his voice, "This thing is starting to surge...so I'm going to pull off for gas."
Dale tried to get his bearings, the garmin on the windshield said they had covered forty miles, and he began to notice the floorboard was unusually hot. "Yeah, probably a good idea".
They pulled into a Mach 1 station off of exit 129 in Casey, Il. with James complaining that the brakes were barely serviceable at this point.

The first checkpoint was Mid-America Motorworks, an automotive mail-order after market supplier for Porsche, Corvette and Volkswagen, just outside Effingham. We would have enjoyed the stop in the daylight better, I'm sure.

Here's what it looked like when Darryl rolled through some 3 hours earlier.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines