I hopped in the passenger's seat of the black rental charger, pulled the seatbelt across me and clipped in. Dad was in the back, and was pretty quiet.
"I think he's out" Robert laughed as we rolled down the road, "He kept James and I pretty entertained".
We had left before the rest of the gang, and we were moving along pretty good, but the Charger cancelled out the road so well I felt like I was sitting on a couch having a conversation. Robert and I were just talking about the trip so far when he suddenly said, "Hmm, that car is coming up pretty fast, I hope it's not a cop, I was a little over back there..." he didn't finish his sentence before the back of the car lit up like a Christmas tree!
"Good grief" Robert exclaimed, "I haven't had a ticket in like five years or more, my wife is going to kill me!"
The officer walked up to the window with his flash light drawn and resting on his shoulder, ready to swing. He looked 16, about 5"7' and had barely enough meat on his bones to hold up his holster
"I pulled you over 'cause you were 15 over back there, where y'all going".
"We're going to Memphis, for a race tomorrow sir. We've been to Bowling Green, then Indy, then St. Louis, we've put a lot of miles in this week and I just got a little tired officer, I apologize..."
"Do you have your paperwork, and I need both your licenses", the officer cut in.
"Yes sir, this is a rental, we are from Arizona, it's been a long trip, I just kinda lost track of my speed, I'm sorry for that, just got in a hurry to get to the motel ahead in Millington, just ready to call it a night..."
"Yes, yes, Ok, ok...I'll be back in a second", the officer cut in again, and quickly headed back to his car, clearly worried Robert was going to start talking again!
The BV, Charger, and Satellite drove by and I was reminded of the scene in Two Lane blacktop when GTO got pulled over after the Driver ratted him out.
The officer came back and returned our licenses. "Mr Reynolds, I'm just going to give you a warning. I see you have an AZ license, a Kentucky rental car, and here you are in Tennessee, so I believe your story about driving all day, just be careful into Millington."
"I certainly appreciate it officer", Robert stuck his hand out as if to shake.
The kid jerked back from the door, and put his hand on his gun, "Uh...we don't do that sir...it's not allowed", he stuttered, clearly flustered.
"Sorry", Robert apologized again, "It's been a long time since I've been pulled over, have a good night officer."
He threw the warning on the dash as we pulled away, "Got out of a ticket, but nearly got shot", he laughed.
Suddenly I could hear the sultry voice of Shemekia Copeland singing in my head, "Never Goin' Back to Memphis..."

7933739-100_0945.jpg (109 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines