I walked back down from the tower to our pits understanding that though our participation in Drag Week 2013 was done, we still had a long day, and a long weekend ahead of us.
Dale picked up his keys at the gate and immediately went to the impound area to get his dually, as he had to get to a tire shop ASAP to replace the blown tires on his trailer.
Rachael and I were plopped down in lawn chairs at our pit relaxing for a bit when a red Kia Soul drove up, and an older gentleman rolled his window down and asked if I was MoparBilly.
"Yes I am", I called out and walked over to the open window.
"My name is Ken, forgive me for not getting out but my legs don't work so well anymore. Anyway, I'm Steve Bowyer's brother, you know, in the 67 Valiant? He suffered a heat stroke on Monday, and he still doesn't feel very well, so he was wondering if you could get his rig back to Arizona."
I was a bit taken back, I had talked to Steve early Monday morning as he was making the rounds through the pits in his power chair. I had assumed he was driving his Dodge dually on the route this year, and hadn't noticed he was bringing a hotrod.
"It's just my daughter and I... how big is the trailer?"
"A 16ft. open, his dually doesn't even know it's back there."
"Alright Ken, she should be able to handle it, tell Steve we will get it taken care of, no problem."
"Ok, I just have to find the keys, he's a little delirious, so he couldn't tell me where they were...the car is at the hotel, and I haven't found the keys to the rig yet. Are you going to be here for a while?"
"Yeah, we've got plenty to do to get ready, so we should be pitted here for a couple hours at least."
"Ok, I'll bring the keys back to you"."
With that, he was gone. I tried to grasp what had just happened, and within a few minutes felt like I had not responded well. He was dealing with a tough situation, and I had failed to gather any pertinent information. What hotel? What's his phone number? Hopefully he made it back before dark so we could get this sorted out.

I started loading up my stuff in the Satellite with the plan of driving it down to impound, and loading both cars on the trailer. I explained to my family what was going on, with instructions that we needed someone in our pit area at all times in case Ken came back. Boone couldn't load The Barnyard Viper until Dale returned and mounted the wheels on his trailer anyway. James agreed to help me load up, and as we started down to the impound area, we saw a cloud of smoke and heard the loudspeaker say, "The Monza is into the wall!"
Pep Boys Speed Shop was a major sponsor for DW13, and one of their managers had brought a really nice notchback Monza, and this was not a good ending to their week!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines