Finally, we narrowed it down to cylinder three or five, and pulled the plugs. Darren broke out his borescope (you know, one of those Drag Week tools you can't be without?) and we had a look inside. While I couldn't make out incredible detail, everything in cylinder three looked clean, relatively shiny, and nothing looked out of place. Cylinder 5 was another matter entirely, it was much darker, seemingly oil soaked, and there appeared to be some very dark spots in a few places where the cylinder and piston top were in contact.
"Um, I think it ate some of the top ring land", I surmised as we all crowded around for a look at the display.
"I can't draw a conclusion", Darren shook his head, "But that cylinder definitely is not as healthy as the other one!"
We put it back together, and Dale and Darren took it for a test ride through the neighborhood, when they returned, you could see it was smoking out of that bank, not horrible, but certainly noticeable.
"It's running, lets just try to baby it to Bowling Green", I suggested.
Darren ran his fingers through his thinning hair, "I don't know", he sighed, "We have a spot to leave it, and I'd hate to tear it up worse in the middle of nowhere!"
"It actually sounds pretty bad, and has a little vibration in it", Dale added.

The decision to leave it was much easier than figuring out the logistics. Lane and Michael decided Darren could ride with them in the Baja Truck, but then we were forced to once again decide what to leave in the car, and what to spread between the only two remaining vehicles we had left. It was about that time that Dale discovered he had left the keys to his truck in the Gremlin, and started making frantic calls to Eric, to see if he could overnight them to Beech Bend Raceway Park, never a dull moment with this group.

7940092-100_0962.jpg (105 downloads)

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines