Originally Posted By MoparBilly

Parking in lane six meant I had a front row seat to lane 7 which I heard Freiburger announce earlier as the "impound and exhibition" lane. The "and exhibition" part of that statement didn't sink in immediately, but it became very frustrating once I saw all the guys who were disqualified or hadn't completed each leg using that provision to get fast tracked to the head of the lanes, and making runs before guys that were actually still in competition. As I mentioned earlier, Sunday through Thursday this Drag Week was among the best; smooth, well organized, great facilities, but Friday was like a bad ending to a really great movie.

Friday had been overcast all day, and they were worried bout rain hitting us later in the evening pretty much from the get go, but about twenty minutes into the Street Machine Eliminator session it became clear that they were worried about something else even more. Gateway had scheduled a piggy back event onto ours, sort of a street drags, and drift style event, that was set to kick off as soon as we were done. It seemed that the Gateway staff, and the Drag Week staff suddenly realized they weren't going to be finished with Drag Week 2015 by the time the locals expected to have the run of the place.

At 5:07pm, just twenty-two minutes after the Street Machine Eliminator class got their first shot at the track, Brian Lohnes suddenly announced over the PA system, "I've been informed by Race Director Lonnie Grimm that we are shutting off the back of the SME lanes at 5:15!"
A scant 7 minutes later, he announced: "We are opening up the lanes for the all-run, final session."
Two minutes later he called out once again, "The lanes are filling up fast with class cars, so all you spectators better get back to your seats!"
You can imagine the frustration if you were an SME racer who wasn't fortunate enough to have made your first pass in the first 31 minutes. They had waited two and half hours through the class car first session for their opportunity, and now thirty minutes into the SME session, the back of the lanes were cutoff and the class cars were given a head start to back fill all the other lanes, The chance of getting another run to turn in before the bracket race was pretty much null and void at that point.

John nosed the 67 Valiant into the water at 5:25 PM, pretty much aware that this might be his only pass before the Quick 32 bracket race. He had the 440 tuned up perfectly for the weather conditions, but the well worn drag radials slipped just enough to card an 11.004-120.92. He drove straight back to the lanes intent upon getting a ten second pass all five days, but pulled up behind pretty much every car still running at Drag Week...it was going to be a long wait!

Still, when they finished up, and took a break to prep the track for the all-run session, the track time break down looked like this: The "Class cars (148 still running)", were on the track for two and a half hours in their first session, the SME cars (92 still in) were on the track for an hour and two minutes!

Not trying to beat a dead horse, just still attempting to bring you the real, unedited experience that was Drag Week 2015. Friday didn't start out as a bad day, it was a crescendo of bad decisions made over the last eight hours of the event that left many of us very frustrated. The best way to describe this building discontent is to continue to show how it unfolded in real time.
While I was in our pit area with the Belvedere, John sent a text to Opal to go ahead and take his 11.00 time slip to the tower. This was in direct response to two announcements by Brian Lohnes about the need to make the Quick 32 ladder as quick as possible. The first announcement was made at 5:41 pm right after the final all-run session started, the second announcement was only eight minutes later.
I walked back to my Valiant in the lanes, just in time to watch 4 of the cheaters, and 4 cars who hadn't been able to make the drive use "The Exhibition lane" again to fast track under the tower for their third hit of the day, while we were hanging out, barely moving forward. I walked over to talk with John, and his feelings, and those of the drivers around him pretty much mirrored mine.
"So you decided to just turn in the eleven flat?"
John pointed to the second story balcony of the tower, "You see that mess? It'll take her who knows how long to get through that, and they've been calling for the quick 32 SME time slips for ten minutes now!"
I looked up and realized that there were probably thirty racers lined up at the door, attempting to turn in their final runs.
"I just got the call that today is official at 6:20pm", We heard Lohnes boom over the loud speaker, "not that we are going to stop running, just that it will go in the books as the final day."
Others were mumbling around us about the lack of passes. "I bet they are going to cut the lanes off fairly quick", John suggested.
We had only moved up a few more car lengths when Lohnes once again took to the mic: "The lanes will close in ten minutes! Ten minutes until we cut off the back of the lanes!
At that point the discontent became more of a fervor, as those around us began looking at their cell phones, and slamming hoods shut, as we began to realize that this was going to be the shortest all-run session in the history of Drag Week!
"It's 6:05... they are closing the final session lanes just an hour after they closed the SME lanes!"
"Yep", John agreed, with a grim look on his face, "and look over there".
I turned to watch the cheaters and broken cars returning up lane seven for their fourth run of the day, while those of us trying to move up in our class were still waiting in line for our second.

Drag Week 2015 131.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines