"Dropped an intake valve", Dale mumbled at me as I walked over, "Can you go up to the tower and put a call in for some parts?"
"Sure...I guess, I've got to turn in my slip and get my route sheet anyway. How do you know it didn't shatter the piston?"
He shrugged, "I had it running, it wasn't smoking...just sounded rough. There isn't any junk on the plug, but I found this when I took the cover off."
I peered over John's shoulder, the #4 intake valve was about halfway open, and was stuck in the guide. The retainer was broken half into, and the locks were in pieces. "That's ugly...gonna pull the head? I questioned as Dale handed me a scrap of paper.
"If we can find some parts", Dale surmised.
"Actually it doesn't matter Dale", John interjected, "if we have a chance of fixing it...the head has to come off, so we might as well get to it!"
Dale's head snapped up as if he had just been awakened from a dream, "Yeah! You're right", he looked at me, "Go put out the call, and we'll tear into it."

I walked to the top of the small tower, and handed the paper to a track worker. A few minutes later Freiburger was calling for a 2.19 Indy valve, 1.55 retainer, and 10 degree locks. He questioned whether or not it could be for the Dart, but Brian Lohnes quickly corrected him, "That was one of the Gebharts, so I'm thinking Gremlin! If any body can offer them some help, seek out the Gremlin in the pits!"

12003030_765236080253448_6553747104337082872_n.jpg20150916_153659 - Copy.jpg

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines