After 13.5 miles we jumped off I-70E/I-55N onto US 40 East, which is a nice two lane cutting across the bottom of Troy, Illinois. Aaron had been talking to me all the time we were on the big road, but now he turned quiet. He stared out the passenger window as the scenery alternated between corn fields, clumps of lush forest, housing developments, big barns, and grain silos. I saw him shoot a few photos, and finally he turned, and glanced over.
"This is awesome! I've never really been to this part of the country...and to see it like this...just awesome."
Seven miles later, we took a left on Illinois Hwy 4 North, and I noticed that Robert in his R/T Ram, and Boone in The Barnyard, were catching up to us. My phone went off a few seconds later, and it was Rachael, telling me the Belvedere had overheated and they were on the shoulder letting it cool off.
"Who is with you?"
"Dale, and Darren in his truck", she explained, "We are here with Jim in the red chevy II...he broke his blower!"
I told her to have Dale track down a new fan clutch and give that a try, as I motored on.
We crossed under I-70 a few miles later. Four miles after that we ran into I-55 North, but instead of jumping on the highway for the three miles into Livingston IL, where the first checkpoint is, they ran us down the narrow, rough, frontage road. We were just barely on that road when we came across six or seven Drag Week cars, lining both ditches, with barely room to fit between them, we eased our way through at five mph.
Aaron was looking out the back glass, "Your Brother pulled over with those guys", he informed me.
"Yeah...probably just going to see if they need any help. He'll catch up."

The first checkpoint is always a place of celebration, as everyone feels fortunate to conquer the first road portion of the journey, even if it is only forty miles! The Diner/Ice Cream Parlor/Antique shop/junk yard that Hot Rod had chosen was perfectly suited for the task!

11053186_10153595256580692_1126401614032625882_n.jpg023 - Copy.JPG

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines